Welcome back to Episode #55 of The Daily Interaction podcast. Today’s topic is How to Get Out of a Rut Fast. This question came in from Louise, one of my fabulous TDI listeners. She asks how to get out of rut in a career or a hobby, how to stop over-thinking so you can take action, and how to find passion again in her career and hobbies.
I spend this episode answering Louise’s question because it is such a common challenge that I hear about and it’s very relevant to Smart Exit Blueprint course I am teaching later in August. Staying stuck in a rut can be the most dangerous thing you can do, so beware because once you get comfortable with this feeling, it gets hard to turn this ship around and to get back out into a natural mode of excited state about life!
It is hard to stay motivated when the honeymoon phase is over, and beyond the first 30-days of a habit and after the excitement of a new thing wears off. I totally hear Louise’s frustrations and in this episode, I give you practical things you can do to get out of the mindset that gets you unstuck and moving again!
The iTunes Page: Subscribe & download!
The RSS Feed: Follow the Feed!
How to Get Out of a Rut Fast Show Notes
1. First, you need to ask yourself a series of questions to get clear on how you feel about your particular hobby or career. Listen to the podcast for these questions.
2. Then you need to identify if your hobby has run its course or if other priorities have come into your life that have made you take a conscious break from your hobby. I tell you what to do in each situation.
3. Next I bring up a quite unrelated root cause as to why you may be in a rut. This may seem unrelated at first but can dramatically increase the chances of throwing you off-balance and affecting everything in your life. Watch out for this one.
4. As to pushing past the over-thinking part, I talk to you about fears and anxieties that may be holding you back and while some are legitimate, why most of them are not going to be of consequence and how to push past them.
5. I give you my own practical tips to get out of a rut fast, including the idea to develop quick routines for movement. I mentioned my program that teaches you 10 minute quick routines you can do on your own. Pay attention to this part as it can keep you in a rut for a long time.
6. I warn you about the All or Nothing mindset – listen to the show for the full explanation. This can be a very common place to get stuck and never take action. This could be the primary reason that you don’t commit. Ask yourself why is it that you don’t start a new hobby or routine? The All-or-Nothing mindset kept me plagued for a long time and I know it does this to others too, but those who really succeed do not let this dilemma interfere with their plans. You shouldn’t either!
Remember: The Smart Exit Blueprint registration ENDS on August 20th! This class is for you if you are unhappy, unsatisfied and flat out ready for a change from your job and ready to find work that is fulfilling and profitable. Check out the Educational 5-video series I made to give you FREE immediate actionable steps.