Welcome back to Episode #50 of The Daily Interaction podcast. Today’s topic is on The Power of Pausing. What can pausing do for your communications if you just take a few seconds to be silent and to insert a pause in every aspect of every communication? The results are astounding, every time I have done it and now I want to encourage you to do the same.
But first things first!
Contest, Rules, and Prize: Our ONE-YEAR Anniversary for the podcast is coming up in 2 weeks. On August 1st, 2012, The Daily Interaction Podcast turns one! I am celebrating YOU, my constant listener. Let’s get to it!
Here are the qualification rules for our first ever podcast contest:
In the comments section here on Episode 50 blog post, leave a comment telling me two things:
Number 1= Why do you listen to the show?
Number 2=What can I do to make it better in Year #2?
You can qualify by adding the comment either on Episode 50 here or on Episodes 51 or 52 so you have 3 chances to enter the contest but why wait? I close the contest on July 25th, Wednesday noon eastern, and pick winner and announce it on Episode 53. Do it now!
I will randomly select a SINGLE WINNER. Winner’s Award: A $30 Gift Certificate to Amazon. I LOVE Amazon and if you never shop there, it’s a great time to start. They have everything, including what got them started first: books!. Whatever your taste, I feel confident that when it comes to Amazon, you won’t have trouble finding something that suits your fancy. (Boy, I wish they knew I do so much marketing for them for free ;))!
The iTunes Page: Subscribe & download!
The RSS Feed: Follow the Feed!
The Power of Pausing Show Notes:
1. The powerful reasons why you need to pause, the reasons why pausing makes you look professional and how lack of pausing sometimes makes you foolish. I talk to you about the benefits of pausing in a communication.
2. I define what a pause is and what it is not, why you do not want to make baby sounds, how to think with your mouth closed. Also, I talk to you about the repercussions of pausing especially if you are not used to it. The art of coming off auto-pilot and thinking about what you are going to say consciously. How do you do it? Why should you bother? What is the end result?
3. How to build anticipation with your audience by inserting a little pause in your speech, and when and how to do it so that you make your core message extremely memorable.
4. How to make interviews and other conversations work in your favor by your carefully placed pauses.
5. One of the best places to pause is during a negotiation, and with this one, I tell you about my role of an interpreter at the age of 13 for my father whenever we had any transactions happening in Turkey. This particular story is about buying our green Honda Grundig! And why it’s a good thing to make your opponent a little uncomfortable during negotiation.
6. I close with a recap on the most powerful reasons to pause, and this quotation on the power of silence by one who knew how to choose his words to reach our hearts, Rumi:
“There is a way between voice and presence where information flows. In disciplined silence, it opens. With wandering talk, it closes.”
If you love The Daily Interaction – you probably do or else why would you be listening? 😉 – please give us a shout on iTUNES! Thank you thank you for showing your LOVE!