What’s your sleep routine?
Do you go to bed exhausted, turn on the TV to decompress from your busy day’s stress and anxiety and drift off to restless sleep?
Or do you listen to soft music and snuggle up with a novel before drifting off to la-la land?
I used to fight sleep for the longest time.
Why do we need to spend a third of our lives unconscious when we already have such a short and swift time on this earth as it is?
Why can’t we stay awake for it all?
There must be a good answer to this – if you know it, share it because it’s been driving me bananas – but it doesn’t change the facts: we need our sleep.
Reminder: You can still grab The Positive Affirmations for Life program with more than 4 hours of audio affirmations for 7 life situations that impact your happiness and success the most including extended bedtime affirmation tracks.
And not just x number of hours laying on a bed to get some shut-eye. We need restful deep sleep to function well, to be productive and to maintain our health.
So how do we do it? With our busy day-to-day race from one thing to another, with our over-stimulated minds and fatigued bodies, how do we relax and get to a state of utter calm and peace?
And how do we make a habit of it consistently and not randomly?
3 Things to Remove from the Bedroom to Induce a Restful Night
First things first. Remove what does not belong in a bedroom:
1. Television – just remove the TV set from the bedroom. Replace it with speakers for soft music and nature sounds.
2. Laptops, iPads, and iPhones – the LED from these devices is the last thing yo need before drifting off to sleep. Read books instead.
3. Bright lights – remove bright lighting and use soft warm lighting in your bedroom. Also use thick curtains or blinds to remove natural light if you plan to sleep past dawn.
Now it’s time to add the essentials for sound sleep: Bedtime affirmations. I’ll give you 3 reasons to adopt them starting to-night! – and I got more if you are not convinced:
1. They are the perfect closure to your day. Whether it turned out to be a stellar day or a bad one, it’s over and recognizing that and letting the excitement melt away is essential to get the rest you need.
2. They emphasize what’s important to your mind and calm the chatter of doubts, second guessing and worrying.
3. They induce peace, inner calm, and gratitude, the 3 emotions that will induce restful sleep.
Affirmations are very personal, so feel free to create your own or use mine. The only rule is to believe them as you say them, and to repeat them 2 or 3 times until you get the calming effect.
5 Bedtime Affirmations to Never Forget Saying before Sleep
Here are my 5 top bedtime affirmations that immediately wash away my stress, my worries and my silly thoughts:
1. I have done my BEST for today.
2. I have earned my REST for tonight
3. I have put my LOVE into all my deeds.
4. I have used KINDNESS in all my thoughts.
5. I close this day with PURE JOY and now drift into SOUND ASLEEP.
Ideally, preceded with 10 minutes of guided bedtime affirmations that calms your nerves and gets you in the mindset of a positive and happy place so you can fully embrace and believe your affirmations.
You hear me talk about affirmations, confidence-building mindset and positive thinking around here a lot, and I wish I could convince you that they work.
Instead, I’d rather you come to your own conclusions. Let your own experience guide you. All you need is an open mind to get started.
If you feel awkward about saying your affirmations, well, nobody has to know. You can whisper them, say them in your heart and keep it just between you and yourself.
Until … you realize how powerful they are! Then you can join me in shouting it off the rooftops and spreading the message about these darling little phrases that bring us the peace of mind all of us crave oh so much!
And I confess, I used to be cynical about affirmations – heck, I used to be cynical about a lot of things until I left my corporate job and adopted a brand new thinking. So it’s okay to have your doubts about whether affirmations even work. I get it. Just don’t let your doubts STOP you from trying them.
So tonight, as you get ready for your sleep routine, take a few minutes to listen these bedtime guided affirmations which I recorded for you with soothing music and get in the right state of mind. Let go of your thoughts, welcome peace into your mind, and go into a deep relaxation state with beautiful peaceful thoughts.