A warning sign you may not love yourself.
Do you love yourself?
If you found this question to be a silly or dumb, then it’s a sign that you probably don’t love yourself.
You may like yourself. You may be proud of yourself. You may think nice thoughts of yourself, but if you truly love yourself – yourself being the person living and breathing in your body, the person housing your heart and soul – then this question has only one right answer: A resounding YES.
Your reaction should be along the lines of: “Yes of course I love myself. I love myself truly and completely. Nothing silly or strange about the question.”
I have discovered – late in life but better now than later – that the answer to all of my life’s struggles and challenges has come down to one simple thing. I was always afraid this would happen to me one day because I knew, I just knew, that I used to always complicate life – life is simple – and sabotage my success - success is within reach but only if you stop reaching for it ever so desperately.
Admitting the truth can be a royal pain but living with the lie is harder. The lies weigh you down and why make life unnecessarily hard when it could be simple and sweet instead?
Number one answer to life’s difficulties
Here goes. I firmly believe the number one answer to life’s difficulties is to love yourself. It is not the entire solution but it is the beginning of a great many.
This is not a silly vanity kind of love. This is a deep real kind of love that comes from accepting who you are, where you come from, how you were raised, what happened to you as a child and then as an adult, and despite or because of it all, you love yourself immensely. Without hesitation. Without excuses. Without the “but” or “if only” or “except for this or that”.
And to get to this kind of love, we have to do some work first. The work of Byron Katie starts the healing process. The work of affirmations continue that process until you completely heal from the damage of self-hatred.
The self-hatred that you’ve been accumulating all your life without even realizing, it is time to let it go. The self-hatred that you assigned to yourself when someone was just giving you feedback or when someone rejected you and you took it as a sign of your personal worth, or when something didn’t go your way and you blamed yourself, it is time to release it.
Self-hatred has a way of growing faster than weed and it can drown you in its loud obnoxious ways if you let it. Self-love is the beginning of healing and restoring confidence and faith in yourself but only if you allow it in.
39 affirmations that release self-hatred and allow self-love
1. I love and approve of myself just the way I am.
2. I release the self-hatred and forgive myself for holding onto it.
3. I love and accept my body and my height, my weight, and all my curves.
4. I love and adore my face, my features, my wrinkles, my nose, my ears and my hair.
5. I release all the negative thoughts about my body and my face and replace them with love.
6. I enjoy my body and all the pleasures it brings me with delight.
7. I treat myself with gentle loving kindness at all times.
8. I trust my inner voice and my intuition to show me the way.
9. I release all the doubt and insecurities I felt about myself.
10. I let go of all the dreadful thoughts about myself one at a time.
11. I wake up to a new day to love and accept myself.
12. I love and believe in the person that lives in my body and carries me through the day.
13. I am strong and healthy and can take good care of myself.
14. I let go of the self-sabotage I used to do to myself.
15. I forgive myself for the way I treated me in the past.
16. I rely on my inner compass to guide me through difficult times.
17. I am caring and loving to myself at all times.
18. I am worthy of my own love and affection and today is a great time to start.
19. I feel a new exciting beginning in the relationship with myself.
20. I have gone down the self-hatred path a long time but it is not too late to turn back now.
21. I accept and forgive all my mistakes, all my failures and all my regrets.
22. I let go of the negative ill will and resentment I felt toward myself and others.
23. I end each day with a shower of love and kindness for myself.
24. I feel no hatred for others as I melt away all the self-hatred toward me.
25. I stop the self-sabotage and self-pity I feel toward myself.
26. I embrace my work, my results, and all of my accomplishments.
27. I revoke the permission to ever hurt and criticize myself again.
28. I walk peacefully into the day trusting myself with all that comes my way.
29. I believe in my ability to guide myself in the right direction.
30. I have complete faith in my decisions and trust in all my actions.
31. I make smart choices that lead me to joy and happiness.
32. I am worthy of joy and happiness and love.
33. I love the person I am as well as the one I am becoming.
34. I let go of judgement and fill the empty space with love and understanding.
35. I am gentle and kind with myself and recover from mistakes gracefully.
36. I am getting better and wiser every day.
37. I am a unique gift to this world and delight in sharing this gift.
38. I am one only but even one person can be a force of change and good.
39. I release all the self-hatred and flow freely toward self-love.
How to get the most out of your affirmations
This is not rocket science but it takes some work because affirmations do work wonders. Consistency is better than random acts so remember,
So for the next month, start from the top of the list above, adopt a daily affirmation, and repeat it to yourself throughout the day. Whisper it. Say it loud when you are alone. Say it when you are with a trusted friend or partner. Teach it and pass it along. Use it as a mantra and hum it to yourself. Say it before you go into a meeting, a presentation, or any other challenge and work that may give you even a moment of doubt about what a wonderful brilliant person you are.
And come back here to share your results. Let your affirmation challenge start today. I am coming right along with you because I dearly need my affirmations too. Deal?
Use Your Inner Powers
Bonus: 21-Step Confidence Building Series