Welcome back to Episode #48 of The Daily Interaction podcast. Today’s topic is on How to Tell Your Boss You Are Quitting. How to have that conversation in such a way that you continue the relationship with your boss and company, even if you can’t stand your job! This is a dialogue that you want to get right when you are leaving your job and moving on to another opportunity and I tell you step-by-step, word for word, how to have this talk. I also teach you how to have this chat without using the words “quit” “resign” even once!
My coaching clients inspired me to talk about this because it comes up a lot in our sessions, and also as a preparation for my upcoming class, Smart Exit Blueprint, where I teach you step by step how to leave a job that is no longer serving. And in this podcast episode, I teach you how to say the absolute right things – and more importantly, avoid the wrong things! – in the “I quit my job!” conversation. Oh and I also assume that you have already figured out when to quit your job – as in, is it time for you to leave your job or do you need to stay. Today, we are just talking about the logistics of how to go about the “I resign” part with the boss.
Don’t forget: Cliff Ravenscraft is bringing back the class that taught me everything about podcasting: Podcasting A to Z Class in July. Podcast to get your message out to a whole new audience – beyond your blog, beyond your local community – whether you have a business or just a personal mission in this world. Use the code PROLIFIC at checkout to get a **$100 OFF** for being my listener!
The iTunes Page: Subscribe & download!
The RSS Feed: Follow the Feed!
How to Quit Your Job Show Notes:
1.The three components that go into the conversation: Honesty (but not too much, I explain in the podcast what that means), Sincerity (as much as you can muster and then some), and Transparency (to the extend that you feel comfortable and no more).
2. The importance of being professional: I explain what is being professional and how to watch your attitude, demeanor, and emotions.
3. How to plan for a smooth transition before you quit your job. And NO, you do not get unemployment when you quit your job! You get unemployment when you get laid off and even that depends on the corporation.
4. How to start the process by requesting a 1:1 private chat with your boss, write a letter of resignation as part of the formality, an go to make your announcement that you are quitting your job.
5. The 3 parts to your “I quit my job” conversation, without using the words “quit” “resign”: The announcement part, the gratitude part and the transition and flexibility part.
6. Listen to the podcast for the exact phrases to say to your boss when you are quitting your job, and how to answer the question: “Why are you leaving your job?”
7. How to express your gratitude and thanks for working at your job and how to help your boss with a smooth transition for your replacement after you leave.
8. How to use that pent-up energy and anger and frustration that you have for your employer and put it to good use and into good projects. I walk my talk in this one. This is what I created with my frustrations of my corporate job and the american corporate culture in general: Smart Exit Blueprint .
So there you have it, my thoughts on THE conversation with the boss. Maybe you are just dreaming of having this chat now, or maybe you have already had it and have a story to share on how to quit your job? Eager to hear your thoughts in the comments.