Welcome to Episode #81 of The Daily Interaction Show. If you want to be a corporate superstar and one of those “inner circle” employees, you need to understand the communication secrets at the workplace. Period.
You need to know the interpersonal communication skills that work well in the corporate culture, the stuff that nobody teaches you but worry not, because in this episode, I share secrets from my 11+ year corporate experience plus research and books and mentors and coaching my own clients and students. Take back the reins to your corporate job by these small subtle changes in the way you interact at the workplace with your boss and co-workers!
The iTunes Page: Subscribe & download!
The RSS Feed: Follow the Feed!
Show Notes: 10 Corporate Culture Secrets to Communicating:
1. Be yourself but not really: There is a limit to being yourself within the corporate or cubicle walls. Be aware of how much of your personality and quirk you display at work and stay on the conservative side IF you want to move up the ladder.
2. Don’t say everything that comes immediately to your mind: Learn to filter and to pause before you speak, because the whole “honesty” factor is not half as important as knowing when to keep quiet and listen and say the right things and ONLY the right things!
3. Don’t complain: Complaining at the workplace is career suicide. Enough said!
4. Act and think like a company owner: Stop thinking like an employee. Best advice I received from my coaches and fastest route to the top of that corporate ladder when you change the way you think.
5. Problems always come with solutions: If you don’t have a solution to offer to the current problem at hand, then no reason to bring up the problem at all! Problems and solutions go hand-in-hand, remember that!
6. Disagree the right way so you get heard: Learn the effective way to voice your disagreement at work.
7. Be a connector and become indispensable: The more you understand this one, the more successful you will be in your career and your life.
8. Keep your personal life to yourself: The wedding and baby and family stuff is relevant only to the point of your presence or absence in the office, beyond that, save the chatter for your friends, not co-workers and definitely not your boss.
9. Know and befriend the key influencers: Find and get to know the key influencers and connectors in the organization and build relationships with them.
10. Get yourself a coach or a mentor: Having the right coach is the best investment in your career, and the hardest one to see ahead of time. The right coach can give you the insight scoop that you will never figure out on your own.
Learning the corporate culture is like learning a foreign language, what with all the acronyms, the secret “handshakes” and the invisible signs of showing that you are part of the inner circle. You need to understand the inside mindset to get ahead and you need to have a huge boost of confidence as you go about it. So grab your FREE Rock Your Career Email Course or sign up below for it:
Accelerate Your Career
Grab Your Free Email Course!