Welcome back to Episode #3 of the Smart, Opinionated and Fabulous podcast. In this episode, we talk about the difference between love and understanding. Yes, they are different and one does not come with the promise of the other.
Our need to be heard and understood is a natural human desire, but when it goes awry, it can become the source a frustration that can break or destroy a relationship.
Why is this desire to be heard and understood so strong? Would understanding get a higher score on the importance scale if measured against love? Any of us would probably rather run and hide than work through these issues with our family and friends and loved ones but this is really important (well, so is the holiday but both need to be addressed, right? )!
We explore these questions with you today and share some of our own stories. We hope to give you new perspectives that will open your mind and heart when others are seeking your understanding and likewise, when you are seeking understanding from others.
The iTunes Page: Subscribe & download!
RSS Feed: Follow the Feed!
Your Every Other Wednesday Show Notes:
1. How the goal of being understood sets you up for massive frustration and can injure the relationships you care about the most, and what to do about it.
2. How and why the lack of understanding can feel like a lack of love, and how you can change this.
3. How understanding creates a bond that makes it easier to connect with those who understand us than with those who do not necessarily understand us even if they truly love us.
4. Examining several reasons why the ones you love may not understand you even when they care about you and love you.
5. Examining your expectations of people and how it affects your experience in the relationship and accepting them as they are.
6. Exploring ways to see the world from the point of view of love and to learn to create a bridge in the absence of understanding.
7. Empowering choices you can make to relieve the frustration and not feel stuck or trapped in your feelings of hurt and disappointment.
8. What can be solved, what can we worked on, and what is best to let go.
Your fabulous opinions and thoughts about the show:
Just to emphasize our heart-felt intentions: Aileen and I ask for your thoughts, crave your questions and love to know on what topics you want to hear about in this show. Please leave a comment or email us at softalkpodcast[a]gmail[dot]com, and share the word on the podcast if you enjoyed listening!